View Single Post
Old 01-03-12, 11:15 AM   #181
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student 07 View Post
How big is the coroplast that he is using for his heat exchanger? It seems logical that more surface area in a heat exchanger will increase efficiency; however, I think all those turns are causing the problems.
I think the coroplast for his HX attempt was about 3' x 1'. The idea was very clever, but the resistance to flow was too high.

Quote:
The vertical pipe heat exchanger is great. It seems very similar in principal to an evacuated tube solar collector.
He is having trouble getting a significant amount of heat into and out of his heat pipe HX. The fins he put on were not doing the job.

Quote:
I found this heat exchanger, which is kind of different, so I thought I would post it for discussion.
One name that is given to units like this is "active HRV". I have seen units similar to this being marketed in Europe (where the cost of energy is 2X what ours is, and the effort being put into energy efficient designs is also 2X). These units are sometimes referred to as 'combi units'.

Here's a link to specifications on one unit that is an HRV, Water heater, solar assisted, and apparently a home heater, too (assuming uber insulation).

I really like the Thermal Air concept.

-AC_Hacker

Attached Images