About a month ago, my wife started saying our dryer hasn’t been drying as fast as it used to. Also, the auto moisture sensing feature has never worked well. I talked with a few people I knew and went to work. The idea being that the temperature sensor (and humidity sensor) has been caked full of lint and needs to be cleaned off to work properly.
So, going to work, I popped off the front cover.
Immediately, you can see this thing hasn’t been opened up and cleaned in a long time, probably never.
I initially thought the sensors were in the tube heading to the rear of the dryer.
So, I pulled it out and disconnected the vent.
Finding that the elbow piece was full of lint, I went ahead and cleaned it out.
I also went ahead and stuck the shop vac in the vent pipe in the dryer to clean it out. However, I didn’t see any sensors once I had it vacuumed out.
So, I moved back to the front and started removing more parts. This is the first vent piece that holds the filter in the dryer. Of course, another piece caked with lint to clean out.
With that vent piece out, I can finally see the sensors on the right side.
I removed both of them. I believe the black one is the humidity sensor, and the white one is the temperature sensor. The black one was fairly clean yet, but the white one had a bit of lint caked around the edges. I cleaned them both up with a clean rag and reinstalled them.
This whole process was pretty quick. It might have taken me 30 minutes all in all.
It is about a week later now, and my wife says that the dryer is working great again. The auto moisture sensing setting is working just as it should, and no doubt the dryer is running more efficiently now.