- Introducing The EcoRider – A Riding Mower Electric Conversion Project
- EcoRider: Removing The Gas Engine
- EcoRider: Parts, Parts, Parts!
- EcoRider: Bringing Things Together
- EcoRider: First Test Run
- EcoRider: Taming the Amps
- EcoRider: A Second Test Run
- EcoRider: Batteries and Racks
- EcoRider: It Works, and Good Too
- Ecorider: 48V upgrade
- EcoRider: Adding Onboard Chargers
- EcoRider: Motor Failure
- EcoRider: New Motor and Pulleys
- EcoRider: New Motor Installed & Results
- EcoRider: Snow Blower Attachment Installed
Well, the time has come for my first electric conversion project! I really wanted to convert a Toyota Paseo I picked up a while ago, but it would have cost too much for me at the moment. So, my next thought was that I really could use a riding mower. I have push mowed my lawn. Its not small and it takes a long time. So, I talked things over with Ben Nelson and MetroMPG, the two EV guys I know and decided to go with an electric riding mower. No more gas burning lawn mowing for me!
This weekend I picked up a Simplicity 728 (I have no idea what year) from a very kind gentleman. I found and got the mower for free using FreeCycle.org. It currently has a mildly used 8hp Briggs engine in it. The deal with the donator was that I take the engine out and return it to him since it hasn’t seen much use. I was all too happy to oblige! So, now I have a new project for this winter.
Hopefully updates will come fast, so check out the EcoRider’s forum threads for the latest on the project.
If you liked this post, please sign up for our RSS Feed to get updates.