View Single Post
Old 10-22-15, 07:47 AM   #10
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
Some research into inverters and system controls but nothing set in stone yet. I'm looking into high voltage 350V plus for string inverters charging a lithium battery pack. Higher voltage keeps the losses lower.
Randen
Just a thought on this 350V you are looking for. My large array is 24 x 240W Sharp panels wired into two strings of 12. The Sunny Boy inverter regularly shows the system at 358V. Don't know how this would relate to what you are planning, but I'm rooting for your success.

I really like your plan, and I know people who do it as you're planning {at least as my imagination says you are planning it}. They have their off-grid system and the utilty connection and it is where the solar array cannot backfeed the grid. They simply put a transfer switch between the main breaker box and the grid. They feed the breaker box all of the time by their {nickel type} battery system and when the sun isn't enough to keep the batteries charged, they flip the transfer switch so the grid powers their home and the other charger that replenishes the battery bank.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote