EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 10-31-16, 12:30 PM   #11
oil pan 4
Land owner

Why not just build a rood then seemly rack panels together on a simple A frame roof?
I do agree that panneling the north facing slope is kind of a waste. During winter the north facing sloped panels are going to produce little to nothing. Even in the summer north facing panels might only produce 20 to 30 percent of rated.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-16, 02:21 PM   #12
stevehull
Steve Hull

For a company to "make it", a product needs to have wide appeal - not just to a niche group.

Jeff, you are astute and I agree that people with money to burn WILL buy the Tesla "shingle" roof as it may be comparable to a terra cotta roof.

But I checked with friends in El Paso (where terra cotta is king) and they set me straight on cost. In that area, most all home use clay fired terra cotta from Mexico. Teams of Mexican workers swarm all over a roof getting it done as fast or faster than three tab fiberglass/asphalt. And the price is not crazy some $200-250 per roofing square. That is about twice (or more) what a "30 year" 3-tab shingle roof costs.

The key is that these terra cotta roofs last - and without a hail storm some 50 years plus.

The roof structure needs to be beefed up to handle the clay weight - and I bet that weight is about the same as the glass enclosed Tesla roof.

But here is the difference - I doubt that swarms of low skilled workers will be able to do a Tesla roof. You have lots of electrical wiring in there - and that is NOT inexpensive.

Bottom line - in my perception, this Tesla roof will be a long time competing with standard solar panels.

Steve
Old 10-31-16, 02:57 PM   #13
Roostre
EcoLearner

Curious how these will be met by Fire Code officials. Currently the code says 3 foot of walkway on all sides of a solar array. Presumably so they can chop through the roof if needed. From the demonstration video they may find it difficult to open up.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 02:47 AM   #14
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

For energy geeky types like myself this is amazing advancements. Watching the video and understanding completely the scope of what is occurring there is what we had been dreaming about. A house that powers itself and charges an electric car.!! The asthetics of the homes and the car are outstanding. Don't get me wrong but PV panels on the front roof slope may be a little less than attractive but its a small price to pay for the contribution. But this solar PV system slash roof cover is gorgeous.

Yes it is expensive but I believe they have done their work to make it cost effective. The durability is no question, outstanding. For new home construction it will work in favour because over the life of the mortgage its going to be a only a few dollars more on the monthly instalment.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-16, 07:02 PM   #15
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Important to remember is that the price today ($2000) will not be the price after a few thousands of first adopters have put the roofs on.

And of course you're getting electricity.

As I understand it Tesla is talking 22 to 24% efficient.

Once again I'm agog at Musk's marketing acumen.

LG etc all have "powerwalls." But who's talking about them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog that is down right now but will return
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Business where I sell solar stuff
[url]https://www.bobolinksolar.com
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-16, 12:47 PM   #16
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I am not interested in the fancy solar shingles, but I daydream about a Powerwall 2.0 on occasion. It's somewhere on my to-do list, well more likely my bucket list. I ain't gittin' no younger.....

gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote