EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-16, 05:11 PM   #1
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Default Merging Wind, PV & Batteries for RE & Independence

Merging Wind, PV & Batteries for RE & Independence: Page 3 of 3 | Home Power Magazine

I read this home power article. I thought how cool they have what we have power for their home and an EV car. They even have some power if the grid goes down I don’t have that without a generator.

Then the cost $127,000 before tax incentives. 30% fed tax credit out of pocket cost was $88,900
So after tax incentives I his system cost $79,900 more with than mine. He still has power if the grid goes down. (I think I will keep mine system)

I like green power a lot but does it make sense to pay this much for a system.

He only uses 20 kWh/day or 7,300 kWh per year. I think PV would easily cover this usage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-16, 09:36 PM   #2
where2
DIY Geek

I love the final quote from the owner: "I’ve been asked how long the payback is, and what effect it has on my monthly bills. I don’t know, because saving money was not my main motive, although I certainly have no objections to it."

In person, when discussing my PV array, people frequently ask me what my electric bill was last month? In online forums, I frequently get asked "how long is the payback?"

Nobody asks about the payback on my floating dock, the payback on my stone coated metal roof, the payback on installing hurricane impact windows, or any other home improvements I've done... Some home improvements are simply for the owners enjoyment, and peace of mind.
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-16, 01:42 PM   #3
oil pan 4
Land owner

Sounds like he went with a cost plus contract, wrote a blank check and got hosed.
Seems like I would get a lot more for $127,000 if I did it.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-16, 04:43 PM   #4
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Wow. That does look a wee tad over priced.

Very sophisticated.

The high voltage DC battery/inverter. I mean it works. But at quite the price point.

Still. He has the dough. Some folks drive cars worth far more. And lose that amount of value the moment delivery is taken.

I've done the early adopter thing. Ask me about my $3400 32 bit graphics card. More power to him. smile.

Blog that is down right now but will return

Business where I sell solar stuff
[url]https://www.bobolinksolar.com
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote