View Single Post
Old 10-24-10, 03:16 PM   #43
Daox
Administrator

I took some time this weekend to work on this project.

First off, these are the two fans I got from my father in law.

The fans run at about 50W each while on.

I started with the fan attached to the box.

I removed it from the box and removed the plastic piece. I also removed the motor, took it apart and cleaned it up.

I found a piece of plywood laying around and cut a notch in it for the water heater exhaust pipe.

At this point I laid out how I wanted the fans to be oriented on the piece of wood.

I traced the first fan out on the board.

Then, I flattened the flanges out on the fan to use for mounting.

And then I cut a hole for the fan exhaust port.

I drilled holes in the flange and put some caulk on the bottom to seal the fan to the board.

With the first one screwed down I moved on to the other fan. I cut the shroud to allow it to sit flat like the other fan.

Again, I traced and cut a hole in the board.

I drilled, caulked, and mounted the second fan. I then wired the two fans together.

So, here we are up in the attic. This is the cutoff chimney. The vent you see is from my water heater. If you look on the upper left corner you can also see that there is a significant step in the brick/morter that will need to be delt with.

Here is how the piece fits on top of the chimney. Looks pretty good.

So, I just need a way of sealing the board to the chimney. I was thinking just to use great stuff and be done with it, but this is kind of still testing things out and I might need to remove it for tweaks. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm also going to need some sort of flapper door to prevent heat from going up the chimney. I'm thinking I'll bolt something to the bottom versus having something in the vent hole in the kitchen, but maybe both is a good idea... Anyway, throw out your ideas!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote