View Single Post
Old 10-09-12, 04:40 PM   #1
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Blank canvas waiting ?

Here it is, fall, perfect weather for construction outside. As mentioned in other postings about manufacturing a homemade geothermal heatpumps the second phase was to install solar hot-water heating to my shop. Here is the delemma: The shop is being heated now via the home made GSHP for about $350.00 per last seasons electrical costs. I know it wasn't cold but I used to send the oil man $2800.00.
I have the special tools, copper pipe, copper fin material and some of the
3/8" riser tube. Other materials nessisary (alot more 3/8 copper tube,clear plastic covering, insulation board, some wood studs and metal J for the wall) will be between $1000.00 to $1500.00 The connections to the in-floor heat and air handler are stubbed in the wall for tie in.
The idea was to make the solar collector similar to GaryGary's hot air shop heat built into the wall only with water so some heat can be stored in the concrete floor.
Like my home the GSHP would be the back-up and the sun would heat the shop until it was nessisary for the GSHP to start again.
I know the ecorenovators mantra the cost of energy is going to continue to rise and nothing beats the free heat of the sun. But even if the cost for heating the shop is half $175.00 thats a lot of money and work for a possible 10yr ROI.

The photos; a roll of copper fin material, riser tube rib form tool, small sample of solar collector and the blank canvas wall (approx 300 sq ft collector) 1600 sq ft shop.

Can you beleive it was a better deal to order a minimum weight of copper and scrap what I didn't use than to order the quantity I needed which sells at a outragous premium.!!

Randen:

Attached Images

randen is offline   Reply With Quote