View Single Post
Old 01-27-13, 05:57 AM   #7
Blue Bomber Man
Lurking Renovator

Thanks for the all the feedback. A bit more about this house. It is not one I own, but right now is the leading contender for the property that I would like to buy. Currently it is a bit out of my prequal range, however the bank didn't try to qualify me for the maximum amount, only the amount I asked for. Cost wise for mortgage payment w/ taxes it works out to the same as the previous property I looked at because this house has dramatically lower taxes, so I believe I will qualify for it. Additionally there may be some wiggle room in the price because it has been on the market for 2+ years!

I will know in a week or two if I am getting it.

A bit more about this place. This house is about 3600 sq feet, so it is quite large. However it has a small 1 bedroom attached on one side, and a 2 bedroom apartment on the other side. The main unit I would guess is around 2100ish-2400 sq feet, much larger then I need, however I have a roommate that will rent a room, and possibly have another friend willing to rent another, so it the space won't be wasted.

Quote:
PS...are you from Winnipeg?
I am from Glens Falls, NY This home is about 10 miles from there.

As said in original post I do plan on tightly sealing the home first before pursuing the full scale of the solar system, but will design the initial system to be scale-able to replace all fossil fuel at the house. With any luck, a few years from now I will be installing PV on the roof as well, but I have much work to do before that.

Anyways, thanks all for the feedback, I wont have much to post for a bit till spring time when I'm moved into my new home (hopefully this one, who knows, maybe an even better place will turn up before I sign the dotted line). But I'll keep you guys posted here as things develop, and once I start these projects I'll carefully document all construction details and post my progress here.
Blue Bomber Man is offline   Reply With Quote