View Single Post
Old 09-04-09, 02:01 PM   #95
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Converting the Air Conditioner to a Heat Pump

CDIG,

I don't mean to leave you hanging...

The loop field is taking me longer to complete than I had estimated. My plan was to complete the loop field, then dress the water lines into the basement and then go to work on the conversion.

But I tell you what, let me know when you (or anyone else who is reading this) have the air conditioner and the heat exchangers ready to go, and I'll break what I am doing and go into the full glory of the AC-to-Heat_Pump conversion process. It's really pretty interesting and easier than you might think.

Your AC might cost from $10 to $50 depending on your luck. Your heat exchangers might be anywhere from $10 (if you scrounge copper tubing and make your own) to $40 and up (if you buy them on ebay, etc). If you make your own, don't forget to braze rather than solder (NOT EVEN SILVER SOLDER). Solder won't hold up to the vibration.

You don't want to break into your AC system until you have everything ready to re-assemble, braze, pump down and charge. The longer the system stays open, the more water from the air gets into the compressor oil. You don't want that to happen.

In return, all I ask is that you post your results to this blog, so that others can learn from your experiences, as you are learning from mine.

Deal?

Best Regards,

AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 09-04-09 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: word refinement...
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote