View Single Post
Old 05-02-12, 06:49 PM   #214
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniebenz View Post
Seems to me like a lot of extra work for little gain. Qs about the details:

1. The ¾” thick strips confine the PEX which is apparently spaced at 1’ intervals. You must have used ¾” ply for the cover floor, thus your system adds 1.5” to the sub floor.
2. What does the Al foil accomplish? Apparently trying to reflect radiant energy upwards. Only works where reflective surface is in contact with air, i.e. the 3/4” wide space directly under the tube, maybe also somewhat from your heat distributing plates across the 1’ span?
3. I don’t understand the “Omega shaped aluminum heat distributing plates“.
Why not just space your PEX closer?
4. Lots of still air in your heat transfer path, a very good insulator! Top ply not much better.
5. 1” or 1.5” of light weight gypsum poured directly on the sub floor would have achieved much higher conductivity to the surface and across the surface with 6” tube spacing, possibly less expensively.

1. Yes pex is spaced 12" apart. 6" spacing is impossible in my case because it will make pex loops too long. Plywood is 5/8" and not 3/4".

2. Read this first: Physics of Foil: Radiant Barrier Stops Heat Gain & Loss in Buildings

3. Omega shape is a slot or bend shape in aluminum plates. It locks pex tube.
http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/pro...ates-htp122100
http://www.warmfloorcenter.com/heattransferplate.html

4. This is a point to insulate top plywood from subfloor. For this reason I didn't want to fill the gap between loops.

5. I checked concrete / gypsum options. Very expensive in our area. Also I didn't want all that mess....

My set up is

1. Super DIY friendly

2. Very light weight and makes your floor concrete solid almost without adding extra weight.

3. Small thermal mass makes it possible to shut down when not needed.

Unfortunately I don't have extra time to do some tests and compare performance of different systems.

My set up is not something new it is hybrid between staple up and top floor installation. This set up is possible when your house is finished and you will need minimum intervention in it's existing structure. Stair case is a real pain and unavoidable.

Last edited by Vlad; 05-02-12 at 07:07 PM..
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote