EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search


Blog Register 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-12, 10:13 PM   #1
Efficiency Afficionado
 
abogart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan, US
Posts: 68
Thanks: 21
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default Old houses and rubble foundations

I came across a very informative article about retrofitting old houses that have rubble foundation walls. It's very interesting to me, since these are the kind of walls that my basement has and I've been racking my brain for ways to bring it up to par with the newer homes. It's basically a chronicle of one person's experience in retrofitting one of these basements.

Here's the article:
Building Science Insights
BSI-041: Rubble Foundations


By the way, this site has some VERY detailed information about energy retrofits and insulating, definitely worth some reading around.

__________________
You might be an EcoRenovator if...
You read the 96% AFUE sticker as 4% wasted fuel.
abogart is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 07:07 AM   #2
Administrator
 
Daox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 4,382
Thanks: 333
Thanked 202 Times in 166 Posts
Default

Nice article. I hadn't realized jacking up a house could be that diy-able.
__________________
Current project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 07:20 AM   #3
Efficiency Afficionado
 
abogart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan, US
Posts: 68
Thanks: 21
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Nice article. I hadn't realized jacking up a house could be that diy-able.
They sure made it look easy. I'm pretty sure that plumbing mains had to be disconnected. Copper pipe might flex 1" upwards, but I'm pretty sure that cast iron drain pipes wouldn't budge. I'd find my toilet in the basement if I tried that with my house.
__________________
You might be an EcoRenovator if...
You read the 96% AFUE sticker as 4% wasted fuel.
abogart is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 11:57 AM   #4
Administrator
 
Daox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 4,382
Thanks: 333
Thanked 202 Times in 166 Posts
Default

Thats why I didn't write easy. I guess a more accurate term would be affordable and DIY-able.
__________________
Current project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 11:41 PM   #5
Master EcoRenovator
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver Island BC
Posts: 739
Thanks: 23
Thanked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Default

cut the cast iron drain at an easy spot to work then use an MJ to connect the two parts. You can easily temporarily gain an inch with an MJ. While you're at it replace the upper part of the cast stack with ABS in preparation of updating the entire system.

I just had to do similar to my stack but I have cast for the bottom 2 feet going to copper which had some sort of lead boot around a steel toilet flange which was too low and had long since broken. I cut the copper and replaced everything above it with ABS and connected with an MJ. It took longer to cut the copper then to do everything else.

The only reason I didn't replace all of the cast was it runs through the wall into the backyard and I didn't want to dig and find where it eventually changes to plastic at the street.


Last edited by strider3700; 03-03-12 at 11:44 PM..
strider3700 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO
Ad Management by RedTyger
Inactive Reminders By Icora Web Design