EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-14, 02:46 AM   #1
jeff88
Lots of questions

Default Building a Shed...

Recently moved and needed some extra space, so we decided to add a shed.

Local code limits a shed to 120 sq. ft. without needing a permit.

Some plans for it our to add a small "closet" to put my hockey gear so it can ventilate without stinking up the shed (or more importantly the house). It will have a vent along the wall to allow for circulation.

I also want circulation in the main portion of the shed without taking up roof space so I found these ridge vents that attach right at the ridge and only take about 6" away from each roof. I'll also add some vents in the walls for the "air in".

Eventually I might add in a small solar system. I only need one to power some lights for the inside, but I have a pipe dream of putting enough panels/batteries to charge an electric car (if I ever bought one).

jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 02:57 AM   #2
jeff88
Lots of questions

I was going to enlist the help of my gf for certain parts (like raising the built wall), but a few days ago she told me she wants to help build it. So a little help from the better half and away we go!

Started on the floor frame yesterday. Showed my gf how to screw it all together. Asked her if she wanted to cut down the pieces, but she declined. After a few cuts, she decided she wanted to give it a try. A quick lesson and poof!, she was doing everything!

Half way through!

Almost finished! Just need to add the small vertical pieces like the ones in the first row.

Next step is to get the vertical pieces in and put the frame on a bunch of these:

The plan is to put one on each corner and half way between each corner on each side. I will also put some in the middle to support the joists. I'm thinking every other or every third joist will get a concrete block so the middle will be well supported.

After I set it up on the blocks, I am going to staple in some chicken wire or something similar on top of the frame and then wrap it around the side and set the blocks on top of it to keep all of the critters out.
Old 07-31-14, 11:05 PM   #3
jeff88
Lots of questions

The shed had to take a seat on the back burner for a few days, but I got a chance to continue today for a few hours. Finished the support joists and locked the frame into place on the concrete blocks.

Tomorrow I have a friend who will be helping me move that purple flowered shrub which will be in the way.

Tomorrow, if I get home from work while it is light out, I am going to install some chicken wire from the top of the floor frame to underneath the concrete blocks (essentially, any open space that will be under the shed). I don't want any critters to get in there.

More to come!

Old 08-01-14, 12:24 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Looking good so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 12:31 AM   #5
jeff88
Lots of questions

Thanks Daox!

Got some more work done the last couple of days.

One wall up!

Two walls!

And an extra! Assistant... err... girlfriend making her cameo!
Old 08-08-14, 12:36 AM   #6
jeff88
Lots of questions

Does anybody have an idea of how to put a wall/barrier/skirt around the bottom exterior of the floor frame?

I want to keep the critters out, but the chicken wire idea I had isn't going to work. Since there is no support to keep the bottom of the chicken wire down, a lil friend can just crawl underneath it.

I've considered using the lattice that they put on top of fences, but not so sure that will work.

Any ideas?
Old 08-08-14, 08:51 AM   #7
Daox
Administrator

What about stapling the chicken wire to the underside of your wooden frame (the whole bottom)?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 12:14 PM   #8
hamsterpower
Apprentice EcoRenovator

What about a "belt" of rocks to hold down the wire mesh? Maybe some potted plants?

Why did you use pressure treated for the floor when you built it so far above a hard surface? and why did you use so many cross braces? I would think the floor surface will lock the joists together enough.

One more thing. Most people put the floor surface down before the walls. It makes it a little easier, especially if it's out of square. Like you, I also put the floor of my new shed between the wall for easier replacement later.
hamsterpower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hamsterpower For This Useful Post:
jeff88 (08-08-14)
Old 08-08-14, 04:47 PM   #9
jeff88
Lots of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
What about stapling the chicken wire to the underside of your wooden frame (the whole bottom)?
I was planning on stapling it to the floor frame, but I don't know how to hold the bottom down, because it will just rest on the concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
What about a "belt" of rocks to hold down the wire mesh? Maybe some potted plants?

Why did you use pressure treated for the floor when you built it so far above a hard surface? and why did you use so many cross braces? I would think the floor surface will lock the joists together enough.

One more thing. Most people put the floor surface down before the walls. It makes it a little easier, especially if it's out of square. Like you, I also put the floor of my new shed between the wall for easier replacement later.
I like that idea! I will have to look into something heavy like rocks. I don't think plants will work, because it won't have anywhere to go.

The reason why I have the shed raised is because the concrete is specifically slanted to allow water drainage. Their is a drain behind me in the pics of the shed. I didn't want to disturb or 'dam' the drainage system. Because of the water drainage, I didn't want to take any chances for a few extra dollars (if that). I made the floor 12" on center for the extra strength. I plan to have some pretty heavy things in here and since it is a 'free floating' frame, I wanted to make sure it will be strong. I had extra pieces, so I added the cross braces for strength in the middle, again because it is free floating.

I figured it would be easier to put the plywood in after. I didn't think about the squareness issue, hopefully I don't have an issue. It will definitely be easier to replace if I need to down the road.

As a side note, I am building the shed to be able to take it down relatively easily if/when I ever move. So the roof will be one piece (maybe 2), each wall is a piece and the floor is one piece. So 5 major parts and some auxillary items and I can have it taken down with a few screws and a couple pairs of hands.

Thanks for the tips guys!
Old 08-08-14, 08:40 PM   #10
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
Does anybody have an idea of how to put a wall/barrier/skirt around the bottom exterior of the floor frame?

I want to keep the critters out, but the chicken wire idea I had isn't going to work. Since there is no support to keep the bottom of the chicken wire down, a lil friend can just crawl underneath it.

I've considered using the lattice that they put on top of fences, but not so sure that will work.

Any ideas?
What do you plan on sheathing the shed with? If you're planning on using siding or corrugated metal, you can run it all the way to the ground. If you want it to look snazzy, get some base channel and screw it to your concrete piers with tapcons. Or you could screw it to the slab. Trailer skirting or underpinning goes on the same way. Wood siding will need extra purlins to hold nails.

Lattice or hardware cloth works the same way: run some angle or channel between piers at ground level ( 1 x 1 x 3/16 aluminum or steel), corner out and down. notch at piers, screw to piers. Either fasten the lath to the outside of the metal or sandwich it in between the metal and your piers. Each way has its own distinct look, you might want to mock up a few feet each way and see what looks better to you before you build the whole thing. Definitely worth a couple extra minues to consider, cuz it's the little details that make your stuff pop (or look like crap).

Last edited by jeff5may; 08-08-14 at 09:00 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
jeff88 (08-08-14)