View Single Post
Old 05-15-11, 01:43 AM   #10
Acuario
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
This part is pretty interesting. A drawing or photo would help perhaps...

So on your first try, did you use the existing cap tubes? I'm assuming there were cap tubes, anyway... if you did use cap tubes, did you use them 'as is' or did you change the length any?
There are photos of before mods and after mods on my website, the top row of photos show the unit before and after. It was a 'plumbing' exercise really to move the evaporator to the return side of the compressor rather than the flow. A/C heat pumps have a changeover valve that does the job for you (as has my second unit) so you only need to energise the solenoid to achieve the same result. As my first unit was cooling only I had to manually swap it around.

In the second unit I haven't changed anything as it was designed for heating so the capillary tube is correctly balanced to the system and it seems to be performing well with no overheating or excessive temperatures or pressures.

In the first unit I originally used the capillary tube but had all sorts of problems with pressures and tempeatures and couldn't seem to get the unit to function well. When I replaced the gas I took the oportunity to remove the capillary and replace it with a TXV (Danfoss TX2, 068Z3206 plus orifice #3 for anyone interested), and at the same time I added a drier into the system. Photos of this mod are the last 2 on the bottom line of photos.

Nigel
Acuario is offline   Reply With Quote