EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-17, 10:36 AM   #21
Ron342
Apprentice EcoRenovator

On the other hand - the small single phase non inverter units are sitting in scrap yards etc all over and the inverter units are newer, harder to find inexpensively and harder to hack.
But thats changing really fast i think.
Makes you wonder if you want to spend the time and energy to put together some small single phase units in parallel or wait a couple years til the 3 phase inverter units are around cheaply to hack?
I've always been amazed at how much smaller and smoother the 3 phase motors are. But its also nice, when you're hacking together that which takes the chill off your butt, to have some separate systems so you could use one if another failed.

Ron342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-17, 01:46 PM   #22
TechShop
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron342 View Post
On the other hand - the small single phase non inverter units are sitting in scrap yards etc all over and the inverter units are newer, harder to find inexpensively and harder to hack.
But thats changing really fast i think.
Makes you wonder if you want to spend the time and energy to put together some small single phase units in parallel or wait a couple years til the 3 phase inverter units are around cheaply to hack?
I've always been amazed at how much smaller and smoother the 3 phase motors are. But its also nice, when you're hacking together that which takes the chill off your butt, to have some separate systems so you could use one if another failed.
I think that depends on where you're at in life and why you're doing these projects... If you're done building and ready for some efficient heat right now (winter is approaching) you have to go with what works and get it running (or go with what you can find / afford).

If you're tinkering around with things because you're cooped up in your already warm shop for the winter, then play with the small cheap/free single phase stuff to learn about juggling 2 or more compressors in a refrigerant system. Some of that will cross over to inverter units.

In 5, 10 and 20 years when those inverter units are becoming more readily available in the scrap piles and second-hand, make the move and start playing around with those using the lessons you learned on cheap single phase.

My first refrigeration project was my "micro GSHP" (see thread in this forum). That proved to me that I wanted to build the larger system to heat my current building. Glad I learned and glad I built my own. Now I'm just playing around for fun and to learn more before I take on my next big project.

TechShop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TechShop For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (09-27-17)