EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-16, 12:28 PM   #1
pghdave
Lurking Renovator

Default Replenishing Well

I have a Home Brew geothermal still in the works utilizing a 100 year old well that was hand dug. The system did fairly well over the winter heating my home although I was very curious how much water was in the well. I have been returning the heat pump water to the same well it is drawn from. I had to fill my pool last week so I had the opportunity to see the actual volume in the well which turns out to be quite low approx 700 to 1000 gallons. My plan to boost the amount of water in the well is to divert my downspout to the well. One friend of mine said this water is to acidic. Could I use a 50 gallon rain barrel as a filter with limestone in the barrel to neutralize the water. I also plan returning the condensate to the well from the heat pumps and also using well to keep pool topped off over the summer. Still amazes me this amount of water was able to heat and cool my house. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks Dave

pghdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-16, 10:34 PM   #2
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

The local authority figures look down upon putting anything into an active well, due to the chance of contamination of subsurface aquifers. Beware.

Depending in way too many things, your idea of charging your well may or may not work. If the well is connected to an aquifer, you may not be able to get back what you pump into the well.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 01:11 AM   #3
oil pan 4
Land owner

Sounds like you should use a cistern.

In some places that I have lived they allow drinking water to be dumped in a well. If your well runs dry you call the fire department and they will dump a few thousand gallons in for you.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-16, 02:29 PM   #4
stevehull
Steve Hull

Dave,

To your best estimate, how deep is the well, what is the diameter and how far down (from the surface) is the standing water level?

It would also be helpful to know data from a test where you pump out a known amount of water (typically several hundred gallons) and then find the time for the well to recharge (reestablish the former standing water level.

Steve
Old 07-06-16, 07:27 PM   #5
pghdave
Lurking Renovator

The well is 50 foot deep to the water. The diameter is about 3.5 feet round. This well is over 100 years old it does replenish although very slowly. The water in the bottom is only a few feet deep but held at a temp over 40 degrees all winter running 1 40k heat pump full time and a second part time although I learned quickly i had to return the water used back to the well. I used it for central air for a few weeks before switching to using my pool as a heat sink. I plan to switch back and forth between the well and the pool depending on the temp of the pool.

Thanks Dave
pghdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-16, 06:49 AM   #6
stevehull
Steve Hull

Uggh - that is not a lot of water volume wise. But interesting that it held a 40 degree temp all winter. I think you deep ground temp is just a bit over that so there is a tremendous thermal sink in place.

I agree with Jeff that water authorities and people really cringe when putting any water in a well. Rainwater should be OK, but caution.

Steve
Old 07-10-16, 02:05 AM   #7
oil pan 4
Land owner

Problem with roof rain water is all the leaves and bird poop that goes along with the rain water.
If you filter it first to get out all the bacteria then it should be good to go in a well.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote