EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > EcoRenovator Blog Discussion
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-10, 07:51 AM   #1
SVOboy
Administrator

Default A Tip for Reducing Trash Production

Recently, I moved into a new apartment in the city. Unlike a normal move, where I would be able to pile a bunch of junk in my car and drag it to wherever I need it, I decided to move to Japan, leaving most of my normal possessions behind. In short, starting out in this [...]Post from: EcoRenovator.org

A Tip for Reducing Trash Production

More...

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 08:05 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Very interesting article. It reminds me of a discussion I had with some members of the local EV club. We were talking about CO2 emissions and how they're measured in tons. Nobody really thinks that they just put 10 TONS of CO2 into the atmosphere. Just imagine how much we could reduce our carbon emissions if someone had to haul around our CO2 emissions for a week, or even just take it to the curb once a week! You'd have to haul around hundreds of pounds if not thousands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 11:29 AM   #3
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

our city has just implemented a new system where they pick up garbage every second week instead of weekly and you still are only allowed to put out one can.

To help make this work they now take meat,bones,cooked foods and regular plant compost in a green bin weekly. They also take recycling every second week. Having gone through the lists of things that can be composted or recycled very little would go into the garbage can. Glass and styrofoam we have to drive to the recycling place because they don't pick it up but other then that very little needs to go in to the garbage. Except for the fact that I have kids in diapers one of which gets serious diaper rash when in cloth and still gets it pretty bad in disposables.

This fact alone will probably force me to pay an extra $2 to allow a second can every 2 weeks. Back before we had kids my wife and I would put out garbage every 3rd week unless we had something stinky in it.

strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote