Thread: Rain Barrels
View Single Post
Old 07-03-11, 08:19 AM   #16
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

No I don't have any photos of the screen, but the screen is just a chunk of window screen glued with polyurethane calk over the opening of the leg of the tee that connects to the barrel, the screen is inside of that tee.

The hurdles with this design were first off keeping the cost low as this lady wanted this done to three barrels, so it also had to be something I could reproduce, also on my personal rain barrels I used 3" down spout, most gutter installers use 4" down spout and the opening to the barrel is 2" threaded, so on a budget I had to go from the 2" threaded to 2" PVC and it just so happens that there are tee's for 3" PVC that have a 2" leg coming off of them (common for connecting a tub or shower drain to a main soil stack) but for some reason 4" tee's with a 2" leg coming off are less common and much more costly when I did find them, but I needed to turn 90 degrees to catch water anyway and the 90 elbow that goes from 3" to 4" was just a few bucks so it gives it almost this funnel shape, 4" down spout fits the opening of the 4" elbow just fine as well.
Although with the lower flange and the brass garden hose adapter, the total hard ware cost per barrel came to nearly $15 each and that is why I like to daisy chain them together at the bottom instead of the top is that those larger fittings add up in cost.

Last edited by Ryland; 07-03-11 at 08:32 AM..
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
Daox (07-05-11)