View Single Post
Old 02-02-12, 05:05 AM   #17
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

We are in the middle of the coldest week of the year right now, daytime temperatures here are between -16° and -12°C (3° to 10°F), while at night it's as low as -22°C (-8°F). With the temperature difference between in and out this big I decided this is a great chance to see where I'm losing the most heat (or gaining the most cold, since I didn't want to go outside). Armed with my IR thermometer I checked the floors and walls in each room, giving special attention to windows. I made separate measurements for partition walls and outer walls, while the temperture of the window frame was measured on both sides (indoor and outdoor).

I measured the same spots that I checked during the hottest day of last summer (33°C/92°F), now I need to compare the data and see where to focus the next renovations.

Among the interesting things I noticed was heat loss through the front door: It is made out of 5 panels (coffers) and has a narrow window in the middle.
The panels are thicker in the middle and the temperature there and on the frame between panels was 5.5°C (42°F), but the thinner panel edges were only 2.5°C (66.5°F). The window was 2°C (35.5°F). I'll add that the temperature of the little entrance hallway was around 11°C (52°F).
On the outside of the door (outdoor temp -22°C/-8°F), the panels' temperature was between -19° and -13°C (-2° to 8.5°F) while the window was -13°C (8.5°F). So I'm losing some heat through the front door, especially through the window, which is already double pane. Insulating it like my brother-in-law did would help, but I'd have to cover the window. We very much need that little window, both for the light it gives in the dark hallway, and to see our entrance gate. I might be possible to cut a hole in the insulation to leave the window, but that would only partially solve the problem.

My Grandma's house has a double front door, actually two doors on one frame, one opens in, the other out. That is quite common in Poland and seems to work quite well, but in our little hallway there just isn't enough room for the door to open inwards. I also though about adding an extra pane of glass to the window, but I doubt that would look even half nice if I did it myself
Attached Images