View Single Post
Old 11-10-10, 01:04 PM   #8
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Thumbs down Poor information is almost worse than none

Arrgghh! Articles like this drive me up a wall!

I think this piece should have been titled 29 Over-Simplified and Under-Explained Features That Off and On The Grid Homebuilders Might Consider Depending on their Latitude, Climate and dozens of other factors. I suppose that doesn't roll off the tongue though.

Here are two examples:

Quote:
3. Eliminate windows, or install a limited number of small fixed windows on north, east and west sides. All windows, regardless of the design, and even with shutters, increase the heat and cooling demand.
Item 3 completely ignores the use of passive solar heating and passive cooling strategies.

Quote:
5. Install a passive solar trombe wall on south side attached to a green house on west end. This is the primary source of passive “solar gain” heating for the home. The trombe wall also hopefully, provides most of the heat for the greenhouse.'

'18. Provide an extended eave on south side of roof.
During the summer the extended eave on the south side shades the south wall and reduces direct heating by the sum. During the winter the sun is lower in the sky and permits maximum passive heating using the trombe wall coupled with operation of the window shutters. This is an important factor in passive solar home design.
Items 5 and 18 recognize passive solar design, but over-simplify it and recommend only one possible strategy.

Any time I see an author put a PhD after their name but no explanation of WHAT their PhD is in I tend to read very carefully with my BS meter turned up.

FWIW,
Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote