View Single Post
Old 09-26-14, 10:09 AM   #15
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasstingy View Post
Having your air handler and ductwork in the attic is not as energy efficient as running them in the crawl space, or should I say under the floor since all homes don't have a crawl space.

That said, attic air handler / ducts done right aren't that crippling of a liability. Because we did not want to have ducts in our floor, we put our ducts through the ceiling. Did it cost more? Maybe, I did not price putting them in the floor. What are the benefits? You don't have to arrange furniture to suit your floor registers, you don't have dirt and trash falling into your floor registers, you don't have to carefully fit your flooring materials around..... you get the idea.

We have put some effort into making our house energy efficient, and we had a home energy audit done June of last year. I was fortunate that the QA selection of my auditors work chose my home to verify his work. With our old gas furnace / 12 SEER AC unit we had a HERS score of 28. {We had the audit to verify sizing of a new, more energy efficient all electric unit.} With our new 19 SEER/10.2 HSPF unit installed and a bit more caulk and 10 more inches of attic insulation, the HERS score after the QA was 16. The old furnace and air handler as well as the new unit were/are mounted in the attic above my attached garage.
How many sqft per ton are you running on the super tight house?
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote