EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-08, 05:16 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Daox's energy use tracking

I'm so excited, haha. I've been waiting to get this so I can start doing more improvements to the house. I wanted at least somewhat of a general baseline to work from. Anyway, the total use for my 1600 sq. ft. home in the first month days was:

September:
428 kWh
13 therms of natural gas

26 heating degree days and 60 cooling degree days
21 day bill

Extrapolated out to a 30 day month I'd estimate the following:

570 kWh
17 therms of natural gas

So, this is my baseline to improve upon for summer months. This includes absolutely no heating. Its quite a bit higher than my useage for the two bedroom upper flat that I used to be in (278 kWh and 12 therms for 33 days), but that is to be expected. There are still a lot of incandescent lights in the house. These will be replaced in the near future.

Latest usage:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 12-08-10 at 09:04 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 08:25 AM   #2
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

Not bad; what is that like $30 (for your partial month)
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-08, 08:01 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

The bill came to $81 (for the 21 days). I pay about $.12 per kWh, and around $1.14 per therm for natural gas. I do pay a little extra ($.014 per kWh) for my electricity to come from renewable sources.

&
Old 10-21-08, 06:34 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Bill number two came today. The results are quite good IMO. After the first bill I did a big replacement of lights to CFLs. This is already starting to pay off! For having the heat on (not a ton) the gas useage really hasn't gone up much either. I did also tweak the water heater temp, but not by a lot.

October:
355 kWh
21 therms of natural gas

202 heating degree days and 68 cooling degree days
21 day bill

The big plunge has yet to happen though. This weekend my cousin, his wife, and three kids (all 5 and under) will be moving in. With them home during the day I'm expecting useage to make a descent jump. Just more incentive to keep at it.

&

Last edited by Daox; 08-19-09 at 07:38 PM..
Old 11-25-08, 08:45 AM   #5
Daox
Administrator

The next bill came the other day. Looks pretty good IMO. Its definitely not the big plunge I was expecting. You can see usage is up a ton, but also remember I have five more people in the house now.

November:
432 kWh
61 therms of natural gas

559 heating degree days and 6 cooling degree days
29 day bill

Next month I expect the electric to go up more due to shorter days and the entire duration of the billing cycle with 7 people in the house, and the gas will go up a descent amount as it gets colder out.

&

Last edited by Daox; 08-19-09 at 07:39 PM..
Old 11-25-08, 11:06 AM   #6
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

not looking forward to mine. (should have it by friday) it's been very cold lately. usually i only let the house heat run in the morning and supplement w/ space heaters in the evening, but, lately i've been coming home to a 60 degrees house, so i need to turn on everything.
insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-09, 07:19 AM   #7
Daox
Administrator

Neeext. Temps were abnormally low this month along with lots of windy days. This wasn't a great month. Hopefully next month won't be so harsh.

December:
586 kWh
150 therms of natural gas

1225 heating degree days and 0 cooling degree days
33 day bill

&

Old 01-06-09, 08:00 AM   #8
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

so your elec was a quite a bit lower, and gas just a lil higher than mine. pricewise (based only on avgs) your bill would be like $300 here. I gotta do some more playing with my stuff at my house, try to knock the elec back down.
insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 10:54 AM   #9
Daox
Administrator

Bill is getting larger and larger! Hopefully the new cellulose insulation will kick down the bill. More to come on that in a bit.

January:
660 kWh
192 therms of natural gas

1588 heating degree days and 0 cooling degree days
35 day bill

Its been coooold. Cellulose keep me waarm! As insaneintention mentioned, I wish they would keep the billing days the same! So far mine has jumped around from 29 to 35.

&

Old 01-27-09, 11:52 AM   #10
Binger
Helper EcoRenovator

that is weird...our utility dept bills from the 15th to the 15th.

It will be interesting to see how your insulation helps.

Binger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
track energy