EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-17, 08:22 AM   #1
oil pan 4
Land owner

Default My new favorite energy saving device

The in wall time off delay switch.
And repeating 24hr time repeat switch.
If you search eBay or amazon for "time off wall switch" a bunch will come up.
They usually come in 30 and 60 minute denominations.
Lowes and home Depot have these switches in the boutique lighting section, and not over with all the electrical receptacles, switches and stuff like you think they'd be.

Now the out side lights which are 125w worth of LED (about 1000w worth of incandescent replacement) never get left on.
Or my three heat lamps totaling 750 watts in the bathroom won't get left on.

The way I figure it, if it keeps the lights from being left on 85 nights and days it will pay for its self. Almost never leaving them on longer than 30 minutes that pay back will add up even faster. Or if it saves one LED flood from bring out its paid for its self.

With the bathroom heat lamps on the time switch it only has to keep them off about 221 hours for the switch to pay for its self. Not counting bulb replacement. 3 heat lamps costs about as much as the time switch.

Now I'm thinking about putting timer switch on the receptacle going to the coffee maker so it doesn't get left on any more.

Then there is the 24hr repeater switch. Most people use these to turn outside lights on and off or run a pond pump at a set time. I have installed one for the electric in floor heating in the bathroom. And I think I might install one for the hot tub.
For the floor heater it can just stay off during the summer, then when it gets real cold during the winter on days we are not working it can just stay on all day. During the cooler months it will cycle on while we are home and off while away. It's only 170w but it's better than nothing.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-17, 09:33 PM   #2
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I have a securifi router that comes with a zigbee network built in. I have found zigbee and wifi led lights on sale or in discount stores. nobody knows that they are so the last batch were $5 ea.

Now all my lights go on and off on zigbee controller settings. I have different settings for home and away. And if I forget to turn off a light? I just tap an icon on my tablet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog that is down right now but will return
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Business where I sell solar stuff
[url]https://www.bobolinksolar.com
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-17, 11:19 AM   #3
Ron342
Apprentice EcoRenovator

One of my favorites is the auto on bath vent fan - kids and I either forget to turn them on or forget to turn off- big bad either way and wiring the fan to the lite switch is a real energy waste.
But there are moisture sensing replacements for the wall on/off switch with adj. on/off levels and run times - they just come on when you get shower mist & off when dry - about $40
And for the wifi fans there's the $9 Sonoff switches for either hardwire, plugs (up to 16 amp) or lite sockets. There's one with a temp. input too
Ron342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-17, 11:33 AM   #4
oil pan 4
Land owner

Another advantage of these timers is they are all mechanical so they need no power to operate and use no power while they are off.
Well they 24hr repeat timer I think uses a tiny bit of power while it's on or in auto, but doesn't move when it's off.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-17, 11:41 AM   #5
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

ha ha! But can you override the setting from bed at 2 in the morning? Or from another town? smile.

the zigbee switches read power drawn down to .001. supposedly temp is in there somewhere on a future software update. that would be nice as a trigger for events.

Blog that is down right now but will return

Business where I sell solar stuff
[url]https://www.bobolinksolar.com
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote