EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-16, 10:44 AM   #1
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Low power pool pump

I've been trying to shed as much energy usage and my pool pump is still one of my bigger loads. I built a solar pump in August to help augment filtering with less big pump. Over the winter I shut down the main pool pump and relied upon the solar pump only. I felt even at its 300 gph label it wasn't enough for a 10000 gallon pool. I built another low power filter system to run using house power.
Using a harbor freight 264 gph pond pump and running it through my old hayward clearstar 75 sq cartridge filter. It is rated at 40 watts nameplate but I can't find my kill-a-watt meter to test real usage. This could be a good sized pump for solar pool heat. There is a 620gph pump available but I haven't seen its power rating. Weather and time permitting I hope to post some pictures this weekend.264 GPH Submersible Fountain Pump

Old 04-01-16, 10:59 AM   #2
stevehull
Steve Hull

This 264 GPH pump only provides 2 psi - will this be sufficient to overcome filter pressure loss?

Steve
Old 04-03-16, 03:58 PM   #3
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Its definitely pumping through the filter. Its a relatively large filter for a low flow pump so it has a very minimal resistance to flow. Box says 6.4' lift . Found the kil-a-watt, it uses 18 watts. I originally decommissioned this filter because the head pressure was a little high, psi against my 3/4 hp pump. I installed a 4 element cartridge filter with about 3 times the element area and head pressure dropped to less than 5psi with the water shooting hard out the jets. Motor amps went down considerably.
stevehull (04-03-16)
Old 05-12-16, 12:27 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

How is the new setup working?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-16, 05:54 PM   #5
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

I have a Hayward pump with VFD, it cut a lot of energy use, but wasn't cheap. I usually run it at 150 watts during the day and 300 watts for a few hours at night.
20,000 gallon pool, sand filter, and chlorine. Aka nothing special

dremd is offline   Reply With Quote