EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-13, 10:06 PM   #1
RobbMeeX
Eco OWNER!!

Question Gas Marketers: Advice needed: adjustable or fixed?

So I'm racking my brain trying to figure out if I want adjustable or fixed rate gas for our home. We only have a gas furnace and may be getting a gas stove in the (rather far) future. What do you guys suggest on the topic? Whats the general idea?

Old 10-14-13, 05:56 AM   #2
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

What are the terms? Is this block rate structure versus fixed structure? ..or are you talking about yearly cost averaging? Not sure what you mean and what the rates are.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-13, 11:07 AM   #3
Quest
Apprentice EcoRenovator

In my area: going with the local major supplier (previously crown corporation/publically owned) here on a flex rate makes excellent sense, esp. when the local natural gas market was opened up (to other suppliers in the region), most other suppliers were on a "closed" contract offering, with terms locked up from 5 to 10 yrs term.

All of the houses (MIL, myself, my parents) opt out of the private gas supplier deal, citing that with natural gas pricing so low, it would still be wise to stay with the market price (even though it fluctuates a bit, but the company adjusts it 3 ~4 times annually closest to the market price). Current market price is about 3.6USD/million BTU, and most of these contracts locked some 5 yrs ago were priced between 7~9.5UDS/mil BTU, so as their contracts expire and people realised that they got duped into these deals, many of them opted out and went back to the main supplier.

With 2,000sq ft and 2 young kids, My summer billing (gas +delivery, etc. for primarily the hot water heater tank) goes around 28~36CAD/mnth; winter time can go as much as 180CAD/mnth (coldest mnth of the year, typically around -2~-6C) due to infloor radiant heating and wifey insisted in setting the thermostat to 21.0C in all 3 zones.

Q.

p.s. been told by my buddy (lives in apartment with his wifey), gas cooking stove, unless you do a lot of slow-roasting or baking, typically costs an additional 20~30% more than just mere gas furnace+ water heater tank.
Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-13, 07:01 PM   #4
RobbMeeX
Eco OWNER!!

Problem solved. Have the girlfriend get it connected.