EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-11, 10:47 AM   #1
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Default Energy comparison of gas and electric cooking.

I realize that it's not the best comparison of gas to electric stoves and ovens but it's a start, if anyone else has a link to a comparison please share it as well!

Stoves / Ovens / Ranges - Energy Choices at the Home

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (02-13-11)
Old 02-14-11, 10:07 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Thats a pretty decent compairison and also does give some good tips. I like that they compared more than just ovens too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 04:17 PM   #3
Clev
Wannabe greenie

So the gas oven uses more energy but, due to the cost of energy, costs less. I think that's about what we've been expecting.
Clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 08:48 AM   #4
benpope
Helper EcoRenovator

Thanks for the post - it is something that I have wondered about for a while. They list an electric hot plate, but not a gas burner. I have used the kill-a-watt on my electric rice cooker (less than one cent to cook rice) and a slow cooker (about 20 cents over 8 hours) but don't know how it compares to gas. Has anyone seen a comparison of a gas stove to an electric hot plate or electric slow cooker?
benpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 11:24 AM   #5
johnlvs2run
Liberty Lover

I was going to replace my gas stove with electric last fall, because of the pre and post burn noxious gases, however was not excited about getting an electric stove. Fortunately I posted on a forum first, and someone recommended taking a look at induction cooking. I did, and got two of the burton 6200 induction cookers, which were $89 each.

The induction cooker is amazing, so good that I've only used one of them, and the other is still in the box. I got rid of the gas stove, woo hoo!

The induction cooking is faster, very fast, and uses less energy than either gas or electric type stoves. It works with magnetism, and heats the pan, not the stove. My recommendation is to check the ratings for the burton 6200 on amazon, which is what I did before going this route.

theinductionsite.com/how-induction-works.shtml
johnlvs2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 03:01 PM   #6
Bmello
Lurking Renovator

I am also giving my vote on induction. I purchased a Mr induction single burner a few years ago. Keep in mind you will need cast iron, steal pots and pans. You can easily determine if your pan will work by using a magnet. If it sticks, you are ready for induction. I have no idea if it is truly saving me energy. In theory it should considering there is timer on the burner that shuts off to what ever preset time you set. I love the fact that it boils water fast and when you remove the pan from the hub there is no heat when you touch the surface. I wish I had the dough for a full sized induction cooktop, I will someday consider a all in one induction oven that has convection baking.

Bmello is offline   Reply With Quote