View Single Post
Old 03-03-10, 10:58 AM   #10
Higgy
The Gardener

Sure Chrissy...blame the vacation...the beautiful AWESOME vacation...see if I invite you again.

Next time it will be just me and Daox...alone on a beach...

...umm...anyway...

I think I may follow Ryland and plant some Kale too. I didn't know that it was one of the healthiest vegetables. I'll probably be something like this (insane I'm stealing some of your ideas that you did last year):

Green Peppers (maybe)
Lettuce (Iceburg and Romaine)
Celery
Broccoli
Watermelon (I gotta try this)
Carrots
Cucumber (only one plant tho...we did 2 last year and 3 before and it was just WAY too much)
Basil
Radishes
Spinach
Beans
Peas (regular ones this time...not sugarsnap)
Tomatoes (I think 5 or 6 plants this year instead of 10...WAY too much unless you have time to do a lot of canning or sauce making)
Corn
Onions
Beets

A few tips that I have for everyone in case you don't know them:
- You can start planting lettuce, kale, broccoli, carrots, onions and peas in early spring. These plants still thrive when it's cold out.
- Stagger your lettuce, kale and peas by 2+ weeks. Do a small row, then wait 2+ weeks and do another small row etc... Any sooner and the plants will catch up in growth. This way you can harvest at different times.
- When you harvest lettuce, kale and peas, cut them at the base and leave the root...it will regrow if there is still time in the season and you will get a second harvest of these vegetables.
- If you plant a row of basil in between your carrots, you will sweeten the carrots...I tried this last year and it worked.

I think that's all I got for now.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote