View Single Post
Old 02-01-10, 12:26 AM   #8
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbhale View Post
What could be used to cover the foam board, to make it look finished?
You can use pre-finished foam that has a stucco or pea gravel coating, or buy rubber stucco in a bucket and brush or trowel it on, that is what I did, two coats of thinly troweled on gray latex/sand stucco with fiber gilass tape on the seams.
You can also use aluminum flashing, steel flashing, fiber glass milk board like foundation wall covering or a nice brick or stone facing.

for my own house I ended up only insulating one and a half sides of it so I bought two six packs of beer to share with the three friends who showed up to help dig, it took about 4 hours to dig out, install drain tile, plastic that directs the water to the drain tile, 2" foam, more plastic and every seam was taped with vaper barrier tape on the plastic and this thick gooy rubber tape with aluminum foil backing on the foam and were the foam meats the house, it's a tape designed for going around sky lights to keep the weather tight.
All in all I think we put down around 6 sheets of foam, 200 feet of drain tile, back filled it and raked it all out at a nice slope, we have not had any more water leaks in the basement (used to have a few gallons leak in every time it rained) and the basement is warmer.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote