View Single Post
Old 11-16-17, 12:44 PM   #10
Daox
Administrator

Thanks for the tips guys!

I do have my eye out for a new power supply. I will probably get one after a while. I realize that the 530W is mega overkill. However, I wasn't really able to find great alternatives. I was considering the 150W PicoPSU, but its efficiency isn't all that amazing. I'll check out the Seasonic G-360. I've heard very good things about that brand. There are also a few Dell power supplies that I found on the 80+ website with gold ratings that seem quite nice and are in the ~150W range which is all this machine should pull. They do require a little modding to get working though. Any other suggestions are welcome.

In the mean time, I'll see how bad the ol' Rosewill is at less than 100W load. The ratings could definitely be worse, but its not as bad as I thought it would be. Its funny, but this thing was cutting edge when I picked it up, nobody even knew what 80+ was back then haha.

Quote:
Efficiency at 100% 82.01%
Efficiency at 50% 85.61%
Efficiency at 20% 84.72%

The main goal I think is to get idle power consumption down as far as possible. This will be by and far a home office machine, very very few games will be being played on it.

I like the suggestion to turn off the computer! So many people leave them on today. For quite a few years now I've gone the extra step and use a smart power strip. When my computer powers off, it cuts power to all peripherals completely. The only draw is whatever phantom power the computer itself pulls which is a few watts.

As for the suggestion about a smaller SSD and HDD, I kind of have that covered. I have a USB 3.0 HDD/SSD dock that I use for backing things up. The 500gb SSD should be good for all my normal needs as my current SSD + HDD isn't even 500gb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (11-25-17)