Thread: Whole house fan
View Single Post
Old 07-18-17, 02:12 PM   #3
JRMichler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I built an economizer into my new (at the time) house 15 years ago. A forced air system with a damper in the return air duct, a duct from the outside with a damper, and a switch (normal / economizer). In normal mode, the heating and central air worked normally. In economizer mode, the return air damper closed, the outside air damper opened, the AC was shut off, and the furnace blower ran until room temperature met the cooling setpoint.

When we first started it up, no air came out of the registers. Tried to open an outside door. It did not open. A two handed pull got it open. Then we got air out of the registers. Then closed the door and opened a window. Less than several inches open, the window howled. Fully open, everything was was good. It ran until the house got down to setpoint, then the blower shut off. Everything worked as planned.

EXCEPT, Wisconsin is humid during the summer. And the relative humidity is highest at night. We woke up to a house at setpoint, about 72 degrees, and very high humidity. It was a swamp inside.

Then I thought "what will happen if the outside air damper fails open in winter at -20 degrees F outside". So I removed the outside air duct and put in a dehumidifier.

Also, the house is so well insulated that the central AC gets very little use.

In dry climate with large day to night temperature swings, an economizer system can work extremely well. When I was in the Air Force at March AFB, CA in the 1970's, our barracks air conditioner failed one summer. We kept the barracks comfortable by running the ventilation fan all night and shutting it down during the day. Typical night low temperature 60 to 70 deg F, typical day high temperature 100 to 110 deg F.
JRMichler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRMichler For This Useful Post:
Daox (07-18-17)