View Single Post
Old 05-04-17, 06:51 AM   #168
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the rubber band low profile tires either. Vehicle number 3 had them on it when I bought it:

For comparison, the newer TahoeBlazer behind my truck has stock size wheels and tires on it. Me likey bigger wheels. Not so much shorty tires. They tend to die young.

I'm now down to only the right front being low profile, due to various road hazards and people trying to wreck into me. The truck drives much more like a tractor with the 245/45/20 tires on it, and becomes a "non off-road" vehicle. Evasive maneuvers are a whole lot more difficult when you break a bead digging into a swerve! When the first one blew out on me, I went to the local Firestone shop and asked the counter guy what size they sold the most of. So now it has 3 used 275/55/20 tires on it. The rubber band will be coming off soon, as it has picked up a screw. It now needs air every five days or whenever I get gas, whichever comes first.

The whole gas saving argument is more of a sales pitch. Truth be told, older broken in tires get better fuel economy than brand new tires (like 15-20% less friction better), just because they have that little curve on the edges. It's not your alignment in most cases, it's friction distribution. Blah blah science physics blah blah the edges wear out first. By the time most people think their tires are worn out, they are getting 3 or 4 extra miles per tank of gas.
Attached Images

Last edited by jeff5may; 05-04-17 at 07:27 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote