View Single Post
Old 02-25-17, 09:19 AM   #8
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

A junk yard motor is a lot of times the best way to go.

I called around yesterday and I looked on car-parts.com this car is so old that the replacements motors all have more miles than this one. The junk yards here want a core charge when selling a motor.

Saturn had such an oil burning issue any motor I bought would need rebuilt.
Good news it once rebuilt they are know for lasting another 200k miles.

We are in no rush to get the car restored he gets a learning permit at 15 and can only drive alone at 16.

We will be thrifty buying parts but even with that I will have more in it that I paid for it. Since it was not running I could not test the AC but he said the compressor worked but needed recharged for whatever that is worth.
It had new front brakes a couple months ago.
New water pump, thermostat new belts new valve cover and gasket.
I will go over the tie rods and brakes very well and get all these system working top notch. Those parts are cheap for this car.

I did a project car as my first car it was a 72 Nova with a 6 cylinder powerglide auto.
I put a 350 in it that I rebuilt 4 bolt mains 10-1 compression. I changed the front brakes to disk and put new springs in it. I added quick Camaro power steering gear box. I replaced the rear end with posi trac rear end 3.73 gears.

My dad knew nothing about cars I read books now the internet is a amazing source.
I wish I had it as a kid on top of that I had money that I saved up and worked for.
This made it even more special it showed how to work on a car with a tight budget.
There was a junk yard guy that would quiz me to see what I really knew and if I got the right answers he would give me better prices I really liked him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
celblazer (02-25-17), roflwaffle (02-26-17)