View Single Post
Old 06-30-16, 10:30 PM   #1910
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiv View Post
Those books are expensive.... anyway, upon checking the shipping costs, I was told that they do not ship to Australia.

I am on this forum and more specifically on this thread because I was looking for DIY advice.
If I cannot do it myself, it will not happen as I cannot afford the 18,000~22,000 I was quoted.

So, I was thinking that I could place the collectors and the in-slab pipes and conduits myself, then wait to complete the system as money permits.

Any advice on:
  • Type and size of pipes to use for both collectors and in-slab
  • Laying, fixing the pipes in the slab
  • Number of stations (max lenght of pipes)
  • Conduits for thermostats
  • Heat pumps: can I DIM or have to spend big money and buy?
  • Any more I don't know yet....
Regarding the expense of the books, you probably have a rough idea how much you are going to spend on your house. If you divide the cost of the books (yes you can find a way to ship them to Australia) by the amount of money you will spend on your house, the percentage is really very tiny.

You sure can do all of it yourself and save big dollars.

I am an engineer, so that makes me very particular with regards to numbers, and how important it is to pay attention to things like precise heat gain and heat loss, in order to advise you how to spend your money in a way that does you the most good.

From our conversation so far, I suspect that you are the kind of guy who just wants to get on with it. Well, there are plenty of folks here on EcoRenovator who prefer to 'shoot from the hip', and I am quite sure that they will be willing to join in on your project.

Along that line I have just created a new thread dedicated to your project and I invite all of the talent that exists here in EcoRenovator to join in on this exciting project.

Best of Luck!!

Sincerely,

-AC_Hacker

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 07-01-16 at 10:15 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
Spiv (07-01-16)