View Single Post
Old 03-05-16, 05:08 PM   #25
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by samerickson89 View Post
Okay I'll definitely be taking a look at those when I get a chance! Luckily cooling isn't a huge concern due to the shape of the house (cracking open a few windows at ground level and up in the cupola is usually enough to keep me cool), so I should be able to wait until summer when school's out. I'll definitely make sealing up the doors and windows before next fall a priority though.

From what you said about heat pumps, it sounds like mine is the conventional type. As it got colder this winter, it actually started to sound worse and worse when it was running. Then when it got well below zero, it just quit on me. When I called tech support and gave them the error code it was displaying, they said it's a compressor issue and that their units aren't designed to operate below ~15F. Would the inverter drive type be able to keep up when it gets that cold? And would it still draw a lot of power in the cold months (compared to ground source, not to my current system)?
This sounds like a good approach to me. In the beginning of your quest,try to get as much historical data as possible from the utility companies, maybe even the previous owner. While you're at the utility office, inquire if they do free or cheap energy audits or weatherproofing services. If so, jump on the opportunity and be there when it is being performed. Be polite, offer the techs or engineer drinks and such, and watch and learn. Take a little glimpse into what these guys do without becoming a pest.

Most likely, you will have to wait awhile for a report to be filed or an analysis to be prepared. Since your heat pump system is on the fritz, you may be able to get a few HVAC contractors to come out and do some bids on a replacement or complete overhaul. Again, stating that you might DIY some or all of the work is a bad idea for an accurate assessment. These firms are interested in doing everything for you. Let them do their preliminary work, and be there if you can.

Once the reports, analyses, bids, proposals, and the like are delivered to you, it will be much easier to determine where the home stands in multiple areas of interest. Since you are considering multiple strategies in both reducing your energy usage and generating your own heat and electricity, these papers will provide different points of view taking aim at the same (or similar) goal. You can then use your own judgement to weigh these options against each other. Being better informed before you do anything major will help prevent costly mistakes.

I would take the info you got from phone support with a couple grains of salt concerning your ductless system. Many of these units fault out with the same types of error codes when things go wrong. Just as calling the computer help desk most always ends up with your system needing a new motherboard or hard drive, the mini-split manufacturers blame the compressor or control board in nearly all cases where the system doesn't have a leak.

Read through some past topics, as many fellow ecorenovators have been the same place you stand now. This forum has become a huge resource because of people in all walks of life helping each other out. It is not that difficult to save a few thousand dollars a month in labor during the planning and construction phases if you have the time, determination and skills to DIY. Having willing friends or kids who will work for ice cream, pizza and beer doesn't hurt either!
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote