View Single Post
Old 10-28-15, 11:13 AM   #3
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default The attic insulation is petty good..

The underlayment of my roof shingles is 5 feet of rubber, covering the eaves (and upwards) and making them pretty waterproof.. The stuff is self-sealing around the roofing nails..

We get horrible ice dams all the time, since our roof has no overhang at all..
The snow sits on the gutters (top of the leaf guard), turns to solid ice, insuring a dam will form..
The only way to stop it, is using those 400 watt melt wires..
And, we would need a lot of them.. We have two installed on the northside,
and are only somewhat effective.. Most of the time, we still get massive ice dams..
Sometimes, they are big round tubes of clear hard ice, 16" or more in diameter..
I've used a step ladder out on the deck, to chop ice.. Cut a melt wire once!
The gutters get pulled out and have to be re-nailed.. They are a PITB..

We have to use wires in the back (north) side of the house, since there is near zero sun back there in the winter.. The south surfaces get sun and self-clean much of the time..
I would love a steel roof! Those are the real self-cleaners.. The only place we have to worry about getting hit by avalanche, is in front of the garage doors.
But, there's a stinking gutter there too.. So, the ice dams stop any sliding snow banks..
The detached garage is un-heated, but has the same ice dams at the gutters as the house..
I would love to ditch the 24' gutter on the garage.. We would get a little rain on our heads, but a lot less headaches in the winter..

I've been thinking about ditching all the south side gutters, and replacing them with different style of gutter. Something open, that takes away the rain water, but doesn't becoming a 4 month storage area for ice..

We can't ditch the northside gutters because it's on the uphill side and rain water would flood the basement.. I would have to get rid of all the plants and built a drainage ditch, under the roof's edge..

I've seen something like this: http://www.coppershoppe.com/product_...er_Bracket.jpg
But, instead of a half-tube, it's closer to a 1/3 tube (and hangs a bit lower) So, leaves will just blow right out.. And 90% of all rain fall with not overflow it..
A minimalist gutter..

~~~~

I just checked out Arcadia, OK.. Wow! It must be great to drive down Route 66 and have a hot dog at POPS..
Does anyone there have PV on their roof? Man, that looks like a great place to live! I'll bet the weather is a lot better than South or central Texas..