View Single Post
Old 08-26-14, 01:32 PM   #17
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

PLEASE NOTE: This post is not a response to the above post. I have no interest in feeding the troll.

I have moved this post over from the 3/4" insulation post, as I though it would be a better fit here, where multi-Layer Insulation is the topic under discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeric View Post
...All I'm saying is that while the concept of using multiple layers of radiant barrier may be good in principle in a vacuum it won't work as you are advertising. But hey, if bringing physics to the table is being smug on this forum then I plead guilty. However, if you really believe that the stuff sold in the UK has over an over 20 R value per inch then I have this bridge I'm selling that you'll find is a real bargain...
Exeric,

I'm surprised that you criticized my post on technical merits (which you have no way of assessing), when the most vulnerable part of the product is cost. I think you must have been sleeping-while-posting.

I mean $1.75 per square foot would clearly choke a horse, and you missed that one completely. Especially if you consider that the $1.75 would only buy you R15.3 stuff. To get the R28, you'd need to go two layers of the 19 layer insulation, or $3.50 per square foot.

So obviously, you could now choke two horses.

But the potential applications are tremendous, especially in traditionally poorly insulated areas like exterior doors, where the R-value is usually R-2 or R-3.

In Oregon, they are begging people who are building 'advanced technology' houses to use minimum R-5 doors.

A typical door is about 20 sq. ft., so at the worst, 20 sq. ft. x 3.5 $/sq.ft. would cost $70, which is an absolute pittance for this kind of dramatic performance improvement.

I really do think that by assuming that our current practices are the best practices, we are missing some amazing opportunities.

Curiously, you can not buy this stuff in the USA. I have looked everywhere, and even at a one-horse-choking $1.75 per sq. ft. you can not buy this stuff. The web site even states that they do not export this material to the USA. I can't even find it on ebay.

Hey Canada!!! Can you get this stuff???

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 08-26-14 at 02:11 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote