Thread: My Turn!
View Single Post
Old 04-14-09, 11:24 AM   #3
Higgy
The Gardener

Looks good and good to see you back. I just had a few comments/questions on your garden:
- Do you plan on keeping that garden for a long time? If so, I noticed you are using, what appears to be, untreated wood. I'm just thinking that it's may not last very long because it's going to absorb the moisture and end up rotting on you.
- You may want to add a bit more soil in there and bring it right to the top. Over the summer and winter it's going to flatten that out a lot with the rain and snow. I topped mine up to the rim last year...and the snow flattened it about 3 inches. And mine was a lot deeper then yours was.
- I noticed you had a lot of veggies/fruit you plan on putting in there. I'm not sure how much of each your going to do...but watermelon is a vine plant like cuccumbers, pumpkins, etc...and that sucker is going to spread all over that garden. They can need up to 12 feet in growth...although I don't know what type you're using. As they grow, you could keep pulling the vines so they grown onto the grass instead of in the garden. If you did that it could work.

Anyway....always nice to see people starting up a garden. Fresh veggies are the BEST!
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote