View Single Post
Old 10-08-12, 03:47 PM   #8
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote: Xringer
I guess you will have to track your own usage, if you plan to fight extra
high charges for power you didn't use..

But, hanging an optical (or other) sensor on a Smart Meter that might be pretty dumb,
may not be the best way to get accurate data..
The data might already be corrupt, before it's sent to BC Hydro..?.

A stand-alone unit might be better to find out if your Smart meter starts going nuts.
I used this one, (Which broke on me)!
~~end quote~~
`````````````````````````````````````````````

I do indeed want to have a TED to measure actual output as compared to the meters readings.
The way i will use the bli-2800 to test for accuracy is to add a know load and watch for the meters reading to compare changes.

Then to test my house by flipping the main breaker off and read the meter for consumption, some of the inaccurate meters have been know to show a constant energy use despite no power being used.

If i had the TED i could test the output of the smart meters display to the teds usage display.

Not much different from me using the bli-2800 to measure meter energy use compared to know wattage's of the appliance/ device.
The power cost meter i bought, the bli-2800 has a accuracy of 1% the TED has a accuracy of 2%,Although the bli-2800 display is in .1 kw resolution (100w) the 1001 TED is in 10w resolution and the ted 5000 has a 1w resolution.

And yes we here in Canada not just B.C have been having accuracy issues with the new Smart meters pacifically the meters reading is high in favor of the electric company.

I have been learning of the TED's from this site first the internet after.
Thanks everyone!

Last edited by ecomodded; 10-08-12 at 04:20 PM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecomodded For This Useful Post: