View Single Post
Old 10-08-12, 12:15 PM   #6
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

My smart meter is model C2S and it gives no indications of current power use. My actual meter is below.
It is pre-loaded with unactivated hardware needed to send wireless signals to a display or my computer reporting actual current usage and more.

Three Antennas Inside a Smart Meter

Two separate transmitters are contained in smart meters. The wireless mesh network can be referred to as an RF LAN (radio frequency local area network).

The RF LAN operates in the 902-928 MHz license free band using spread spectrum transmitting technology. A second, separate transmitter that operates in the 2.4 GHz frequency range (2405
MHz to 2483 MHz)
uses direct sequence spread spectrum technology that is referred to as a Zigbeeradio.
This Second transmitter is included for use with Home Area Networks (HANs) allowing customers, for
example, to control certain electric appliances or systems within the home. When fully implemented, the
customers will be able to connect wirelessly with the HAN radio and set times at which various appliances
and/or electrical systems may operate, thereby taking advantage of those times during which electricity rates are lowest.

The RF LAN provides data communications among the various end-point meters and an associated cell relay meter.

Cell relays are end-point meters that contain yet a THIRD Transceiver that is designed for wireless connection to the cellular WWAN, i.e., relaying of the data received from the various end-point meters over a private connection to the electric utility company.

The transceivers use the same frequency bands used by cell phones.

Two different frequency bands are used by these cell-relay transceivers, either the 850 MHz band or the 1900 MHz band.
Attached Images

Last edited by ecomodded; 10-08-12 at 12:28 PM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecomodded For This Useful Post: