View Single Post
Old 02-11-12, 08:06 AM   #2
S-F
You Ain't Me

Well as a parent of three children I certainly have a lot of input here. If water usage is such a concern for you I suggest you get into rain water harvesting. Where I live there is basically too much water so that's not an issue. I have found that the biggest issue the average person encounters when having children is the amount of garbage which enters the house. Many of the "toys" people give to your new child are aesthetically unpleasing, obnoxious and disposable. Try to keep that to a minimum. Having an influx of crappy toys and other baby related junk will increase the amount of trash you have by a minimum of 10x in my experience. Cloth diapers are no doubt the way to go. And if you have another child you can use them again and even lend them to a friend with a small child after yours has outgrown them. My cloth diapers have gone through multiple children. After the child begins to eat solid food you don't need to buy baby food. Just take some of your food out and put in a different pot to finish cooking before you fully season it. And add more water. Then get a baby food mill. One like this: http://www.diapers.com/p/babysteps-food-mill-16298?site=CI&utm_source=cse&utm_medium=cpc_D&utm_ campaign=Google&utm_content=pla&ci_sku=KO-067&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}. I've had mine for about 6 years. It's not the same one as mine came here with some friends from Belgium. Don't worry about getting anything for the baby. People will give you much more than you could possibly need. Make as many trips to the salvation army (or the Polish equivalent) to immediately get rid of any items which aren't perfect. Don't worry about the baby being cold in the winter if you like to keep your house cooler than other people do. Just stock up on blankets. They will be healthier for it. All of my children are strong and healthy and I have always kept the house cool. Children were raised in the cold for thousands of years and we're still here. Honestly love and being held gives them more warmth than any boiler. It's also the same for adults.

This is a great thread and I'll keep chiming in as more thoughts come to me.
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S-F For This Useful Post:
Exalta-STA (05-15-12), Piwoslaw (02-11-12)