View Single Post
Old 12-28-11, 09:13 PM   #12
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herlichka View Post
I don't think that a humidifier would really use that much water
Some of these problems are seasonal and regional.

There are areas where 'natural' humidity mitigation will work just fine. Some folks are using natural clay plaster as the inside finish in their home because of the appearance and color and low embodied energy, but also because it has the ability to take up and release moisture, thus maintaining an even moisture level indoors. Such an approach might not work everywhere, but why should it? Another natural humidity control method is to include in the house a 'green wall' of living plants that contribute moisture in humidity deprived seasons.

Quote:
I think part of the confusion in trying to make your house air tight and properly ventilated is that many of the components involved in the "system" are not designed to be easily adapted to controlled ventilation systems. Clothes dryers don't have a flange for incoming air, nor do most power vent hot water heaters. How do you supply combustion air to a gas range? On a windy day you can hear the check/flapper valves in your range hood and bath fans bounce around. And so on...
Excellent point, regarding appliances not being designed for controlled ventilation systems...

There are dryers on the market that use heat-pumps which should reduce power use, and they do not exhaust hot humid air, rather they act as de-humidifiers, and the water comes out as a liquid rather than as a vapor.

But there was a previous thread wherein someone questioned the value of having a dryer at all... Some countries don't use dryers primarily because they shorten the useful life of clothing. Sounds like a multiple win to me...
  • elimination of energy use
  • longer clothing life
  • non-powered humidification
Such a deal!

Quote:
...but the important thing to keep in mind is that all the small gains add up, and eventually you become aware that they make a difference.
I guess that's why we're all here...

-AC_Hacker