View Single Post
Old 11-13-11, 08:12 PM   #994
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default The last couple details before installation

Basically the GSHP is finished. I ran out of fasteners and energy. A hand full of stainless fasteners and a hole for the electrical fittings. Oh yes install a access ring in the top to switch the 4 way valve from heat to cool. This can be done any time later. I like stainless steel. It maybe a little more expensive and a little harder to work with but the final product dosen't need any paint and it will look the same for ever. This was a project in which all the components where re-purposed mostly from the scrap heap. The copper was from a friend cleaning the garage the compressor from an old airconditioner the base and top was from another project that needed to be changed out. and the cover is from a washing machine. Heck, even the propane was destin to be burnt in the BBQ.

The testing turned out surprisingly well (see earlier post) but I'm confident now it will keep me warm this winter.

Tommorrow maybe a full day soldering tubes. I think I will hire a local contractor to purge the system by installing the Propylene Glycol. They have the high pressure pump and the last thing you want is a air trapped in one of the ground loops reducing the efficiency.

The shop has an office area that already has the infloor heat. It was the beta test 25 years ago, before the internet and before, I built my house with in-floor heat. In-floor heat around here was non exsitent and I had asked a lot of contractors who shrugged their shoulders but yes they had heard about it. I guessed at 12" centers 3/4 Kitec pipe in 6" of concrete with an oil fired hot water tank as a boiler. It work amazingly well. Wished then I had that in-floor heat in the shop area.

Today the house had been converted to lower temp.with the same pitch and size tube. The GSHP sends 106 deg F into the floor and it works extremly well. As an added note we also have solar hot water that some days is only pumping 90 deg F thru the floor and thats enough to heat the floor
comfortably.

Included is photos of the complete GSHP its foot print is 23 Dia x 26 high and the location of the GSHP you will notice the Grundfos circ. pumps and the in floor tubes. As well as in the shop area the installed air handler with check and zone valve. This will provide heat as well as the air-conditioning. Included are the early drawings for the 4 way valve and circuit. I will complete and post better drawings after the dust has settled.

Randen
Attached Images

randen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (11-14-11)