View Single Post
Old 01-26-11, 09:07 AM   #1
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Default How to efficiently use a gas furnace/boiler

I read a while back that gas powered boilers are most efficient when working at, or close to, full load.

I remember that our old boiler's burner was either on at max or off, the flame could not be adjusted. The only thing that made this old boiler turn on or off was the temperature of the water in the heating system: when it got too low the boiler would turn on and heat the water at full blast until the temperature on the return rose to a set level. I had to manually adjust the return temperature setting almost every day depending on the outdoor temperature.

New boilers all have an adjustable burner and reduce the flame size once they have warmed up. A room thermostat controls when the boiler cycles on and off, but the flame size depends on the water temperature. If this is set to a high temperature, then the boiler warms the house quickly then shuts off. Of course, after the initial warmup stage the flame gets smaller as the water temperature rises. If the water temperature is set lower, then the flame gets reduced much quicker and it takes longer to heat the house.

So the question is: Does the boiler's efficiency drop when the flame gets smaller?

Also, should I set my boiler so that the water temperature is high or low? In other words, should the house heat up quickly at close to full blast, or should the boiler just barely keep the water at a temperature that keeps the house from cooling down. Does the process of heating water to a higher temperature lower efficiency?

For a moment let's forget that a 100 watt water pump turns on/off with the boiler. Let's also not take into account that our boiler is a little oversized - it is a 23kW model and was installed before the house's walls were insulated with 5cm of styrofoam and the windows replaced with argon filled windows. A few years from now, after I do a few more renovations, I hope to replace it a much smaller condensing-type boiler.

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 01-29-11 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: Replaced 'furnace' by 'boiler'
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote