More ds18b20 temp sensors arrived so I put 1 in the front yard and one in the back. The interesting thing, at least to me, was to make them survive the elements I took 3 or 4 inch long pieces of 3/8" copper tubing and slid the sensors into that. I then used big blobs of silicone to close both ends up hopefully making it water tight. The only issue could be where the wires go in getting jiggled making small gaps. We'll see if they hold up or not.
I had to change the code a big to get the sensors working. Basically add s3 and s4 since the arduino sensors arrays don't automatically grow. also I had a bug in the java code where sensors not already in the sensorlist where incorrectly reporting back as the last sensor that was in the list. Minor fixes but annoying to do while in the middle of datalogging.