View Single Post
Old 12-09-10, 06:30 AM   #13
Daox
Administrator

I did some rough calculations and made up a spreadsheet that shows how much heat these panels could provide and how much gas use they could offset. Its looking quite nice! Over the past year I used ~680 therms of gas. The solar panels will likely provide about 270 therms or 40% of my heating requirements, so a sizable chunk of energy savings! As I continue improving the house, that % will noticeably increase.

To compare, according to the cost savings calculator on builditsolar, my interior storm windows for my 13 sunroom windows will save me about 90 therms a year which is still huge. The interior storm windows will be TONS cheaper and easier to do though.

This is the break down month per month of the solar panel collection and my energy use.

Until it starts getting warm out (and I can start working on this project) I think I'll start keeping an eye out for cheap parts that I can use for the system.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 12-09-10 at 07:02 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote