Last I wrote, the EcoRider’s motor had given up the ghost. The power requirements were just too much for the motor to handle and it overheated. I contacted some of the local EV guys for suggestions on replacement motors and if they had any suggestions on where I could get the motor rewound. One of my friends there highly recommended going with a motor with a higher power rating, the Mars ME0708. I was quite reluctant to go ahead with this motor due to the price tag of $450 (plus shipping on a 30 pound motor). However, I did happen to take a look on ebay and find someone selling one and the price was much more reasonable, so I nabbed it.
The same friend that recommended the motor also works at Helwig Carbon a spring and brush manufacturer. He works in the test lab and had actually tested the ME0708. They had developed new springs for the motor that extend the brush life by roughly two times. He was nice enough to get me the springs he had used to do the testing.
One great thing about this motor is that I have specifications on it. That means I know almost the exact rpm it will be turning while cutting the grass. This allowed me to very accurately size the pulleys needed for the mower this time around.
However, there is a small problem with this motor. The shaft is significantly shorter than the Baldor motor I had been using before. As you can see in the picture, the second pulley isn’t fully engaged on the shaft. Some modification to the pulleys will be needed to get that second pulley on more.